Access covers and grates shall be designated by classes A,B,C,D,E,F and G according to load capacity as set out in the table below. The design loads as specified below, shall be used for testing.
The appropriate class for a cover or grate depends upon the place of installation. Some place of installation,relative to class, are outlined below. The selection of the appropriate class is the responsibility of the designer and where there is doubt the stronger class shall be selected.
AS3996 Australian Load Rating Standards
- Nominal wheel loads are given for guidance only. Consideration should be given to the type, size and pneumatic pressure of the load applied.
- Class B design loads exceed AS 5100.2 requirements for footway loading.
- Class D design loads exceed AS 5100.2 requirements for a W80 wheel load.
- Class C units are based on intermediate load.
- The serviceability load is set at 2/3 of the ultimate limit state design load.
- A force of 1 kN approximately equal to the weight of 100kg.